Skip to main content

A Little Rough Around the Edges

Spending a lot more time deburring edges and rounding corners than expected. The holes are relatively easy to debur compared to other projects I've helped out on. But most of the edges are either rough or have significant projections that need to be taken out.


The photo above was taken through the bench mount magnifying glass. The lower edge was cleaned up using a file and Scotch-Brite 7447. The upper edge is untouched and indicative of many rough edges in the kit. It's expected this and I rather enjoy the process, but just time consuming.

I think the 7447 is the perfect grit for finishing after files or sandpaper and scuffing for primer. One of the plates had a deep scratch that I worked out with sandpaper and then the Scotch-Brite pad. Looked flawless afterwards.

I am waiting on the primer test piece to dry to determine if my priming process is sustainable. According to my two Navy airframe mechanic neighbors, "tape testing" the primer is a suitable test. I'll do that after the first 24 hours and then again after 72 hours. The priming process should fail within that time frame. I know the primer I used survived two months of outdoor testing according to this blog post.

Comments