Skip to main content

Stored and Tooling Up


With the help of my dad and nephew, we moved the wing kit, canopy, main gear, and fuselage into my storage unit. I dropped off the moving truck much to the delight of the manager. It turns out California is running out of moving trucks due to one-way rentals to more friendlier states, like Texas. I'm not surprised.

The empennage kit, fairings, BRS,  and remainder of the fuse bits are still in my garage. The emp kit will remain, as that will be the first component I work on after I get appropriately tooled. For most (myself included), the timing to start a build permits some lead time between ordering the first kit and tooling up. I didn't have that opportunity. But, don't cry for me, I got a good deal.

I don't have an air compressor and that is something I would consider an essential tool. If I was going to attempt the final paint job on the airplane, it would be absolutely essential. But, I don't know. A cordless electric rivet puller is appealing for many reasons and is being used by this Sling TSi builder (I can't seem to locate his name). On the other hand, an air compressor and pneumatic tools go a long way beyond building an airplane. I'm at the point of just flipping a coin.

The cordless rivet puller option is the Milwaukee M12 Rivet Tool, while the pneumatic options is the one recommended by Craig Maiman.

My other big task for the week is to build workbenches. For these, I like the EAA Chapter 1000 Standardized Work Tables.

Heads, it's cordless. Tails, pneumatic.

Comments

  1. His name is Matthew Harris.

    I've also decided to use the Milwaukee Rivet Tool since I don't plan to paint my own airplane and not having a noisy compressor running is nice. My Sling TSI kit is almost in my garage ( https://slingtsi.rueker.com/ ), but I've done some test riveting with the Milwaukee tool and it works well and it's nice and quiet (plus I already had a bunch of other M12 tools).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the name, Philip. I opted to go pneumatic because I needed an air compressor anyway. I regret selling mine years ago now.

      Delete

Post a Comment