Skip to main content

Elevator E2 Work Started

The elevator trim tab work required the shortening of a large number of 8mm long rivets for attaching the trim hinge. Then as many rivets again would need to be shortened to attach the hinge to the elevator. I opted to follow the approach of another builder and just order short rivets from Aircraft Spruce (Ordered 100 BSP-41 cherry rivets https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cherrynrivet.php). There are a number of other subsequent rivet shortening steps in the instructions, so this is well worth it.

I went on to remove the vinyl from the elevator E2 and E3 assemblies and inspect for damage. Unfortunately, one of the two Rib 4 pieces was tweaked beyond repair, presumably at the factory. I believe it happened at the factory because no other piece in proximity to it had any damage. I entered another part replacement request and moved forward.

I suggest clecoing the outside ribs, hinges, and trim server plates first before working on the assembly in the center of spar. After verifying the fit of the outer parts, remove them from the spar and work on the horn assembly in the cent.


Cleco direction is important to get this to work. Above, I brought clecos through from the flange side of the rib and in the second holes from the spar end. Below, I clecoed the ribs with the horns to the center spar and doubler.



Now is where I run into trouble. The Spar Box Channel is pressed into the hinge side of the spar and wraps around the doubler. The picture below doesn't show this very well, but the problem is with the hole alignment between the spar box channel, the spar, and the spar doubler. They don't align!


The alignment is too far off for reaming or drilling out. I'm hoping that I'm either doing something wrong or it's just a bad part. Actually, I hope it's not another bad part, but I will settle for any answer at this point. I emailed Jean this morning and hope to hear back soon.

I disassembled the parts and began the deburring and prep work. This will keep me busy for a few nights and possibly I'll be informed on how to proceed. I should probably rip into the rudder and VS in case there are some hidden problems with those too.




Comments