Skip to main content

First Rivets Pulled

The time finally came to pull the first rivet. More on that later.

One common issue I've come across reading other builder blogs is the problem of misaligned rivet holes and the need to ream holes to match. I'm sure I'll encounter that at some time, but I started with a rather simple technique to ensure rivets fit. And spars are good since you may have three or four overlapping parts and even a slightly misaligned part at any layer can make it impossible for the rivet to fit through.

The picture below and left depicts using rivets only to ensure hole alignment. I made sure every rivet fits through all the parts as designed. I didn't take a picture of the next step, but it looks like the one below and right where every other rivet is replaced with a cleco.


I did experiment originally with first clecoing parts together and then trying to fit rivets through. I found that rivets wouldn't fit through most of the holes due to ever so slight misalignment. I could see where reaming through helps, but I was curious to see if all the rivets would fit without needing to ream. And they did.

Back to the first rivet...

It was only fitting to pull the first rivet by hand. The last will receive the same treatment. I wasn't ready for the recoil on the hand riveter, so the mandrel stem dragged across the spar channel on release.


Fortunately, it didn't dig into the aluminum. I can't feel a scratch, but I'll treat it like a scratch and fix as appropriate.

All of the spar rivets are set and I'll be adding the ribs and remaining hinge brackets next. I won't be able to complete the assembly until I receive a replacement forward spar doubler.


Comments