Skip to main content

Response on Elevator Spar Box Channel for E2

From my previous E2 work post, test fitting the parts revealed an alignment problem with the spar box channel. I sent a picture to TAF and the folks from SA said it was acceptable to drill out the spar box holes to match and that the multi-grip rivets would fill the gaps.



Rather than drilling through the spar, spar box, and spar doubler, I opted to mark the spar box hole offsets with a fine point Sharpie. I then used the marking as a guide coat and removed the material using a small round file.





I refitted the spar box and was able to insert all but one rivet. After a couple of stokes with the file, the final rivet dropped in without a problem.


I mentioned in a previous post as well that I ordered short rivets from AirSpruce rather than filing down all the 8mm long rivets necessary to attach the EL trim tab. The short rivets arrived today and here's a quick look:


The two on the right are the short rivets while the one on the left is the 8mm provided in the kit. I ordered 100 short rivets and they should cover this assembly as well as additional assemblies that call for rivet shortening.

All rivet holes in the EL assembly have been deburred. I'm going back through and smoothing out edges, removing deep scratches, and rounding flange corners that mate with skins. I expect to complete priming of these parts by the end of the weekend.

Comments