Skip to main content

Mystery Parts Galore

With the garage organized, I've spent the past couple of evenings sorting through the fuselage kit. 90% of the rear fuse was completed by the previous builder. About 15% of the center fuse work has also been done, but with some problems.

Several dozen of the center fuse parts have been primed and have no part numbers. I poured through the build manuals and figured out all the mystery pieces. During that process, I noticed some had been completed incorrectly. I also noticed that some work on the center fuse was completed out of order, which made it impossible to fix without drilling out a bunch of rivets. I'm cataloging that work now and will detail it when it happens.

Two other issues have struck me. The first is the number of missing parts in the kit. I dealt with the missing parts that I could inventory that were labeled when I first got the kit. Since I've been identifying the mystery parts, I'm discovering a number more of missing parts. This process is really eating up my time.

The other disturbing trend I'm seeing are a number of instruction pages that identify parts in the parts list, but don't identify the part in the diagram. This is further compounded by some loose parts I do have with part numbers that aren't coming up either in the inventory or build instructions. I know this because I use the PDF to search for part numbers.

Here's a frustrating example. Control Mount Bracket 1 (CF-BKT-009-X-C) is on page E6 of Fuselage Construction manual and is already installed.


Control Mount Bracket 2 (CF-BKT-022-X-C) goes over the top of the control bushing, but is not in any of the construction manuals. I only know the part number because it's in the inventory. Problem one: The manuals never reference them.

Problem two: I have two parts that claim to be bracket 2. Now, one of those parts is the right size, so the winner is a no-brainer. However, the other part has been wrapped in a parts label claiming to be the correct part. The bushing portion of the part fits the control bushings, but the part isn't wide enough to fit the control box. My worry is when I order a replacement, am I going to get the right sized part. Perhaps the part number label was added incorrectly by the previous build? I don't know.


By the way, the part that fits has the label-maker part number CF-BKT-002-X-C-0. This part corresponds to an autopilot bracket, so I'm sure the previous builder made this in error.



Comments