Skip to main content

Aileron Control Stops, Or Should They?

I planned to install control tubes and connecting rods today while I had the flap torque tube out. I started to install the rear bushings on the pilot-side control tube before I discovered another mistake the previous builder made. Here is the rear bushing bracket:


I locked the upper nyloc down.


I reviewed the Finish manual for details on how the autopilot control rod attaches. That's when I noticed the diagram in the manual and the parts installed in the fuselage deviated. Here's the aileron autopilot page:


Note the orientation of the aileron control stop bracket (highlighted). Now, note the orientation of my aileron control stops:


They are backwards!

I went through the fuselage manual to see if their installation is specified there. Sure enough, they are and they depicted in several manual pages (if you look close enough using the PDF versions). The page they're installed on is E3:


The aileron control stops were installed pursuant to the Fuselage manual, as indicated on this and subsequent pages. The bracket's orientation here is opposite that of the finish manual. However, the finish manual has the correct orientation and the Fuselage manual is incorrect. This becomes very obvious when you see how far away the control tube is from the control stops.

In this instance, the previous builder didn't necessarily make a mistake. He just followed the instructions. For me, another twelve rivets to remove.

Comments