Skip to main content

One Elevator Wing Tip

The garage was cool yesterday and I felt motivated, so some work got done. The elevator had been sitting across the benches for a few weeks with the composite wingtips inserted. I needed to align them, mark and drill holes, and rivet them in.


The composite is too flimsy to support drilling in-place. I marked a hole with a Sharpie and removed the wingtip and drilled using a 1x2" as a backing piece. I regret having to remove the composite because getting it in there is tricky. It's a tricky, tight fit.


Testing out the cleco and building up the motivation to mark and drill the remaining holes.


Notice the gaps around the leading edge. I figure I'll need to fill this area later.



Both sides finished!


The gaps that need to be filled. The shape of the skins don't match the composite shapes exactly around these tight bends. Filling them shouldn't be a problem.


Time: 2 hrs

Comments

  1. Hi Matt, just found this build log. I am building a Sling TSi at my shop in Spring Valley. It looks from your other posts that you're in San Diego as well, and even a fellow Plus One Flyers member! I'd love to get in touch sometime and discuss your build, I have just finished the empennage of mine so far, with the rest of the kits coming in this week!

    Not sure if this message will be received through here, but might as well try. Send me an email at ebrunye@gmail.com if you get this, I'd love to be in contact with another local Sling builder

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment